ITS California and ITS America Forum
IIJA Investment Partnering and How to Procure Technology Solutions
Date and Time:
February 23, 2023, 9:30AM – 2:00PM
Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel
1230 J St., Sacramento, CA 95814
What grants are available to apply for technology? How do you build innovative public-private partnerships? How do you navigate public agency rules to help procure innovative technologies? How can we make it easy to invest in technology? This forum will bring together public agencies and private sector innovators to learn how to invest in transportation technology, and help you build your network to learn what public agencies want to invest in and what technologies help advance a safer, greener, smarter future for all.
9:30 – 10:00 Coffee and Networking
10:00-10:15 Welcome – Tony Tavares, Director, Caltrans
10:15 – 11:45 Interactive Panel: SMART Grants, Innovative Funding and How to Grow Technology Public-Private Partnerships – Speakers will provide quick introductions to the topic and then enter into interactive discussion with moderator and participants.
- SMART Grants And Federal Investments In Technology: USDOT Office of Research & Technology will discuss new IIJA tech-related grants, the importance of public-private partnerships, and best practices in applying for federal grant funding (invited)
- How Local Agencies Successfully Apply for Federal Tech Grants: Tim Haile, Executive Director, Contra Costa Transportation Authority will share a regional perspective on how to successfully apply for federal technology funding and lessons learned from projects with tech companies
- Innovative Partnering And Procurement Approaches: Kristin White, COO, ITS America
- Moderated by Ben McKeever, WSP & Katherine Mertz, Sensys Networks – ITS California Board President & ITS America State Chapters Coordinating Council Leadership
11:45 – 1:00 Break & Networking Lunch
Tables will be available based on specific interest areas including connectivity, automation, sustainability, equity, broadband and other topics to discuss ITS projects, build partnerships, and leverage California opportunities to scale technology.
1:00 – 1:50 Afternoon Roundtable – Moderated fireside chat discussing how to partner, design, and deliver successful transportation technology projects. Discuss how to leverage federal funding and private sector support. Moderated by Kristin White, ITS America, with interactive Q&A.
- USDOT Representative (invited)
- Tilly Chang, Executive Director, San Francisco County Transportation Authority
- Lori Pepper, Deputy Secretary for Innovative Mobility Solutions, CALSTA
- Antoinette Meier, Director of Mobility and Innovation, San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) (invited)
1:50 -2:00 Closing Summary & Next Steps – ITS California & ITS America summarize forum takeaways, identify next steps to remove barriers and how the organizations plan to partner to promote tech investment.